Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Pre-Valentine's Day Declaration

As Valentine's Day is fast approaching and I find myself (once again) without a date, much less someone really special in my life, I decided that my reflection would be a little different this year. Instead of moping and wallowing in my own self-pity about being alone, I'm gonna celebrate a few things.

1. I am blessed to have been in love once before; it was a wonderful experience. Even though it ended sadly, I wouldn't take it back for anything. At the risk of sounding cliche', it is definitely better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

2. I might celebrate Valentine's Day with the person I should love the most - MYSELF. Might sound cheesy, but it's true. No one can love me better than me. And how will anyone ever know how to love you if you don't know what it feels like to love you? Feel me? I can say that since last year, I've gotten better at it.

3. I am proud of myself for putting up with only a minimal amount of bullshit. I'd rather be alone than to settle for some of the men that have crossed my path. At a time when it was easy for me to fall into the need for validation from some a-hole, I did not. Man, that feels good, and that feeling can kick Loneliness' ass.

4. I was brave and took risks this year. Even though I have been burned before, I didn't let that keep me from getting out there and seeing what was up. Sometimes, there is just no chemistry, and there is nothing you can do about that. But I would never walk into a store and a buy a dress before I see every dress that store has to offer me. Dating sucks, but alas, is unavoidable for one who has love to give.

5. I can look at couples around me, and be happy that they have love in their lives. I have a lot of friends getting married or have gotten married recently, and I can honestly say, I have a healthy admiration of what they have. They really give me hope that all is not lost.

6. I know the difference between being alone and solitude. Everyone needs solitude. It allows me to date myself. You can't love someone you don't know, and what better way to get to know someone than to spend some time with them. So I learn to enjoy spending time with me, and getting to know me better. Plus, I'm a cheap date. ;o)

7. I can rely on other relationships in my life and realize that there is a great deal of love there as well. Thank goodness there is more than one kind of love!

I am still human; I am still trying to find that perfect medium between A Woman Scorned and Woman With Heart On Her Sleeve. Until I get there, I'll continue to celebrate and proclaim every epiphany that comes to my mind, so everyone can see how much I have grown.

3 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Tony J. said...

you could totally write a self-help book, DQ. you're good with the self affirmation, self actualization jargon. and if it sold millions of copies, you wouldn't have to be a cheap date for yourself anymore...u could take yourself on a trip to venice...just because. ;)

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Max said...

Good For you DQ! Not many cats young or old are as self actualized as you are. You get mad props for that.

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger TheChosenOne said...

GOOD POINTS!!! I totally agree. Especially the one about being alone and solitude. I completely enjoy being by myself in those moments. I have noticed I have been learning so much more when I begin to take time for myself and be by myself. Also to date myself!!! YES!!! I went to my first movie alone (Something New) because no one wanted to see it, but a year ago I would have never have done that!!! I was proud of myself!!! And YOU KNOW how I feel about the bullshit from the men.
Keep them coming DQ!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home