Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I'm No Carrie Bradshaw

I was watching Sex in the City reruns last night, and I realized just how opposite my life is from the girls on that show. I am single, and I live in New York City, but wouldn't you know, it is not the same.

Carrie once said that she feels like New York is her one true love. Like she was in a relationship with her beloved city.

Well, New York and I have an abusive relationship. NYC consistently kicks my ass every chance he gets.

Let's make some comparisons, shall we? All of the girls have great jobs that they love. In my small group of friends here in the city, I would say 90% of us hate our jobs. I would love to blog for a deadline once a week, and spend the rest of the time dating, drinking martinis, and going to Central Park. Alas, I have bills to pay.

None of them ever take public transportation. Must be nice not to have to bump elbows during rush hour with a man whose last shower was probably before I moved here . And he's the one who wants to hang on to the overhead bar instead of the one you just reach out and hold.

I'm positive that all of my friends put together don't have the shoe collection that Carrie has, and I'm sure my friends make more money than she does. She has about $8,000 worth of shoes. Do you know what I could with $8,000? Be a happy New Yorker, that's what. Or at least a New Yorker with a little less debt.

*For the avid watchers - when myself or my friends find a great guy like Aidan, we don't fuck it up by sleeping with the asscrack who broke our hearts...we marry them. (shout out to Max and D!)

Samantha probably has more sex than all of us put together. I don't know this for sure, but most conversations with my friends consists of bouts of irregularity and period cramps as opposed to who got great head or the best orgasm the night before. I could be wrong, but I doubt we are getting it like those girls.

The SITC girls always meet stockbrokers and bankers and men with great and interesting jobs. I meet men who still live with their mothers and are in the process of starting an "internet business" as soon as they get some money or some equally dumb shit like that.

And I guess the weather in HBO's New York is slightly different; I never see them trudging through five feet of snow to meet for brunch. Hell, I have never seen them in appropriate outer wear for New York weather!

Maybe my experience with New York is different because I'm not from here; I'm an implant. I have little to no loyalty. I am only happy here when I have a good gig, enough money to dispose of, not have to ride the subway to get to where I'm going, and I am convinced that my husband lives down South somewhere, giving his momma flowers or something.

But I can say this; I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without the support of my Mirandas, my Charlottes, and my Samanthas. You know who you are ladies. Whether we are talking about poop, periods, or food...you make this city bearable. Even without the Sex!

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Max said...

Miranda Hobbs reporting for duty! Awesome post DQ!

As a native NYer, I have to say that I have a love/hate relationship with my city. When I leave I miss it terribly and compare all other places to it. And they all fall short. But sometimes I can't stand it and I need to just be out. Sounds like most relationships, full of ups and downs.

It's true us and those hoes have nothing in common but just like them we are down for each other. And that's what really counts.

Thanks for the shout out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home