Thursday, October 27, 2005

All In The Fullness of Time...

...this is a quote from one of my favorite books. And it just recently started making sense to me. At the time, I thought, gee, this character is unrealistically patient. But that was a few years ago, and now I think I am grasping the concept.

If you think about it, time is full. It is hard for us to wrap our brains around time. The beginning, the middle, and the end. It is all abstract. And people are always saying things like "in due time" or "it's only a matter of time"..."only time will tell"..."time heals all wounds".

How many days is 'due time'? How much time is in a 'matter'? What exactly is time going to say when it tells? And what healing properties does time have? A little out there, I know, but if you think about it, none of it makes sense.

So this guy in this book is dealing with a love interest, who is being a little impatient. He looks at her says, "all in the fullness of time". And it shut her up. If you can think about time being full, you won't worry about how much time...it doesn't have a task or a responsibility. There is no due or matter attatched to it, and it doesn't have to heal or tell anything. It is just full, so deal with it. All it's asking of you is to wait. You feel me?

So this thought process took me back to when I first broke up with my one true love. I took the break-up pretty hard. I thought I would never get over it. And people kept telling me all the time sayings - don't worry, you'll get over it in due time. Time heals all wounds, he'll talk to you eventually. It's only a matter of time before you won't even think about him anymore. And yet when I least expected it, I realized...that chapter of my autobiography is finished. Closed. Done. The door is closed on that experience, and is finally ready to open for a new one.

And it didn't happen in due time, or in a matter of time.

It, along with everything every nano-second of the day...happened in the fullness of time.

I really like the sound of that. And since my life can be full of time, I can be free.

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger TheChosenOne said...

VERY INTROSPECTIVE!! I totally agree and see your point. Even though I have yet to grasp the concept, I understand it. I can think of plenty of times that I thought my life was OVER because of some MAN or something that happened that was unexpected. And what you said reminds me that we all do heal. One day, I was just ok. I moved on, as we all should. Good one!! :)

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am guilty of using the phrases "in due time, only a matter of time, and only time will tell." In reading this post I realize that when I say those phrases I'm really trying to say " All in the fullness of time." To me, it doesn't matter how I say it, because the point is to be patient. Just like when people ask God to help them be still. It's like waiting on His move because in time He will show you all that you need to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home