Saturday, March 11, 2006

Jazz In The Key of Life

I am a jazz fanatic. Mostly the older stuff, but I can appreciate some of the new stuff too. I love to hear it behind a rap track, or under slammin' vocals, or alone in it's own complexity.

I finally figured out why I love jazz so much. Of course the obvious - it's a complex form of music. You can almost hear the notes conflicting with themselves, but that's not all.

Jazz is like clay - your mind can mold it into whatever mood you want it to be in. Jazz can be sad, happy, mellow, upbeat, erotic, scholastic, spiritual...the list goes on. Someone told me recently that they didn't like jazz (GASP) - that they just couldn't get into it.

Impossible, I said. Jazz is forgiving. Jazz is easily influenced. It can be what you make it. I'm listening to it right now as I type, wondering how music can move your soul in such a way. It's a soundtrack to your thoughts. No matter what's on my mind, it fits. I LOVE that.

I don't really know why I felt compelled to blog about Jazz, but it's hard to put into words where this music takes me. It rescues me. Without asking questions. Or imprinting anything on my mind besides music notes....*sigh*...

Random Thoughts - I can't believe people didn't know I had a tattoo! I swear, as soon as I got it, I showed it to anyone who would look.

Is there a way to put emoticons on blogs?

Is it possible to feel like you're being used and to feel useless at the same time?

Always pondering...

3 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger make it real said...

dear dramaqueen,
wow, you sure did capture it. jazz, for me, is a sound that is forgiving. this particular genre of music is always on my top list. i can't get enough of coltrane, vocalist johnny hartman and pharoah sanders. GENIUSES!! thanks for this post, whaodie!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Butta C.U.P. said...

Jazz, just like you, is sultry and hot! It adapts to the space it is in and fills up space with sound. It's viscous and sweet like honey and smooth, warm and liquid like a steam bath.

yeah...

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger TheChosenOne said...

I have do have some jazz favorites on my list, but am still maturing into listening to more of it. But I love live instrumentation. The one thing I do notice and agree with you on is the complexity of it all. How can this be documented? Or is it all in the musician's head? Just lovely. It always makes me feel....just JUICY!!!
And who didn't know you had a tat? TheChosenOne.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home