Sunday, March 19, 2006

Contents of my Character

I just read another fellow blogger's post (TD) and I felt strangely connected to it. I'll let you go to it and read it in detail, but basically she was talking about different aspects of her personality and how it has changed.

Like TD, people used to tell me (and sometimes still do) that I reminded them of Synclaire from Living Single and Freddie from A Different World. To be honest, I went through a range of emotions about this over the past years. Sometimes I didn't mind, sometimes it pissed me off, and sometimes I took it as a compliment. It depended on who said it and in what context. For the most part, it was true. I always had on slightly rose-colored glasses, and had that dreamy, glass-is-half-full outlook on life. Plus I was goofy and silly at best (some things haven't changed that much).

Since I began coming into my womanhood (and changing environments), I haven't changed much, but a few characters have been added to my cast. Now I've got some Miranda from Sex in the City (my sense of sarcasm and wit gets sharper and dryer by the day), a little Claire Huxtable (I can work my mouthpiece in way that I don't have to straight be cussin' folks out but I get my point across), and even a little Khadijah from Living Single (I'm much better at being straight-forward and honest).

Much like my girl TD, it's much more balanced. People can't help but to love the Freddie/Synclaire in me, they won't mess with the Claire, the Miranda will shut them up, and the Khadijah will give it to 'em straight, no chaser.

I'm sure it'll change a little more as I get older. And I can't wait. So far, I have the perfect cast of characters. And the best part is, they always know their cue.

4 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger TheChosenOne said...

I see Miranda in you - all the way!! I really don't see any of Freddie in you, and people slept on Synclaire!!! She was not to be messed with. We can all agree that as we grow, we change and adapt. I am proud of how far I have come, and still have a long way to go. One thing that I think we all should hold on to just a little bit of if we have it is our innocence. The rose colored glasses are ok sometimes right? If everyone was cynical, what kind of world would this be?

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bottom line is, you are who you are. The qualities that you have all together makes you that special someone that people can't get enough of. I understand what you mean about being compared to someone else, because we are all individuals, and there's nothing wrong with being recognized as such.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Tony J. said...

since you want to talk about who needs to UPDATE...uh huh...look at YOU! with your month old blogging self...where you at, DQ? where you at? ;)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Max said...

I'm cosigning DL on the full content of you. And furthermore all of those things make folk want to be like you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home