Thursday, August 11, 2005

Estrogen Sucks

I am in so much pain right now.

I did not injure myself, I'm not ill, I'm not even on my Moon Cycle...(that is my nice way of saying that Aunt Flo has come and gone, thank God)...

I hate being a woman today. Today, I have experienced a fresh kind of hell.

I got my eyebrows threaded.

Why, oh why did society make it unacceptable for women to walk around with a full beard and mustache? Why does everything we do in order to stay beautiful hurt? We even hurt naturally!

Period = cramps
Pregnancy = unexplainable pain (or so I've heard)
Menopause = hot flashes and various aches.

This what was done to me today - A petite Indian lady wound up some thread, put it in her mouth to steady it and keep the string taut, and proceeded to rip out the hair by winding the thread around each hair. All of this was done faster than the speed of light.

This is what it felt like - She took a pair of rusty pliers and plucked the hair in my eyebrows from my actual hair follicle. I would be surprised if it ever grew back, because I swear it felt like she ripped the entire root out with a single piece of thread. After that, she took a cotton ball soaked in alcohol and swiped it across the tender, hair-free skin, then proceeded to set fire to the area with a blow torch.

And you would assume that the waxing of the upper lip would have been better, right? Wrong. She applied the wax on my upper lip with a wax roller, and smeared wax on my upper lip the way a child would smear glue on construction paper with a glue stick. While I was trying to determine whether or not I actually felt wax in my mouth, she, without warning, applied the muslin strip and ripped untill every hair was gone. All I could think of was my poor little mustache hairs clinging for dear life to this mass of icky goo and then ripped from it's foundation. My upper lip now looks like somebody punched me with brass knuckles.

I shared this story with a male co-worker of mine, and he said, "Yeah, I can see how that would be a little uncomfortable."

a little uncomfortable??

A maxi pad that is shifting in my underwear is a little uncomfortable.

a thong is a little uncomfortable.

Having something either ripped off of you, leaking from you, pushed out of you kicking and screaming, shoved inside of you repeatedly**, or having products crammed inside the pores of your skin at least three times a day is slightly more than a little uncomfortable.

**Clearly, I'm referring to tampons. There are some things about being a woman that ain't so bad. ;o)

3 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger B-Nice said...

I feel your pain. Ok not literally on the eyebrow threading. That sounds like hell. Co to the estrogen sucks sign.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Max said...

It's wack that we get all the crappy maintenance stuff for beautys sake.

Well imagine what a brazilian feels like and triple it. That's what my first one felt like.

We should rebel and become furry like bigfoot.

Or not.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I love threading. I didn't know you waxed your upper lip! I've never done that because it always looks painful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home