Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Temp-orary Insanity

Do you know what it feels like to be temporary?

I am currently working at a job as a temp, and let me tell you, it sucks. This is the only place where they can expect me to know everything and treat me like a dummy at the same time. It is completely nervewracking. I'm working in a Corporate Textiles Detp. of a major apparel company. Now I am woman of many talents; fabric and clothing and stuff is not one of them. So half the time my "colleagues" are speaking textile gibberish to me, and they might as well be speaking French because I have no clue what they are talking about, and the other half of the time they are treating my like I have come here to learn how to read. ("This is a copy machine. Do you know how to use it?" **said in a kindergarten teacher-esque voice)

I am grateful to even have a job, don't get me wrong. But it's funny how life works out sometimes. I have a degree in Drama, which is the equivalent to a degree Cake Decorating. But nonetheless, I have a degree. So why am I stuck in this hopeless job?? I have an interview this Wednesday for a job I think I will like. Please keep your fingers crossed!

You know how I love lists, so here are a couple I thought were appropriate.

Times when it is good to be Temporary:

-when you get pissed at something, and then realize, hey, I'm leaving soon, F*** this!

-when you are sick

-when you are angry

-when you really mess something up at your job.

-when your desk is piled up with work and your last day is tommorrow...I repeat, F*** this!

-no one in the office cares if you forget their name.

Times it is not so good to be Temporary:

-when you are someone's girl/boyfriend (I guess this depends on how one looks at it...)

-when you do not get a full-time paycheck for doing full-time work.

-when you get used to something only to be uprooted as soon as you adjust.

-no sick or vacation days; you don't work, you don't get paid.

-when you are being used.

-when you go to work on your birthday and there is no cake or balloons, cuz no one knew it was your birthday. :o(

So now that we are schooled on the pros and cons of being temporary, I must say, I am spent. I have been temporary for much too long. But I have a feeling that I am being prepped for bigger and better things. While I understand that I am in training, I am still tired. Being temporary is exhausting work. I would love a resting period.

Consider me Temporarily Out of Service

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, welcome to corporate america. It's not just when you're a temp that they treat you like a dummy and expect you to know everything. Black women in the corporate world with a permanent job gets the same treatment, trust me...I know. My response to the "this is a copy machine do you know how to use it?" comment would've been "well, I want to think my college degree wasn't a waste." You have a college degree. Most people don't have that. Regardless of what your degree is in, the point is you went to college, and obtained one. If you ask me, they need to be temporarily out of service. I know most of them are all the time.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Tony J. said...

Work should be better than it is most of the time. I ADORE my students. They make me happy and they make me laugh like nothing else ever has in life...still...I'm not sure teaching is what I was meant to spend most of my days doing. Oh well. Whaddaya gonna do? Gotta pay the man for his electricity, gas, cell phone, apartment, etc.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Max said...

Word to all of that. And DL has it right. It doesn't change a bit. Nothing sucks harder than being subordinated to idiots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home