Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I've Been Hit

....by the Book Tag! Thank you, fuego, for forcing me to think about the stuff I have read over the years! And others who will be named at the bottom of this entry, beware, cuz you are next!

Total # of books I own:
If I knew the number, would that mean that I didn't own enough? I have no idea. I have an overflowing bookshelf here, and a couple of boxes full back home. Not to mention the eighty that I lent out and never got back! Wait, that might balance out if you include the eighty I borrowed and never returned; I still have library books from college! *hanging my head in shame*

Last book I bought:
A cookbook from The Food Network. I'm obsessed with The Food Network.

Last book I read:
Some Soul To Keep by J. California Cooper. I love the way she can tell a story. She is proof that often times simplicity says it best.

Book I am currently reading:
Confessions of a Video Vixen by Karrine Steffans. I know, I know...now you know my hidden shame. I needed a juicy, gossipy, guilty-pleasure book for the summer, and this is hitting the spot. Plus, I always like to read the life stories of people. And she uses real names!

First memory of a book:
My first memory of a book was Dr. Seuss. I loved the rhyming. I used to memorize it when it was told to me, by page and everything, so I could go and tell someone that I could read (I was four) and I would read the whole book out loud; I even knew when to turn the pages! But that was the only book I could read, because I wasn't really reading. after I got busted, my sister started reading to me, but she would make me sit next to her. She would guide her finger underneath each word as she said it, and I watched. That's how I learned to read. Sorry, I digress...

Five books that mean a lot to me: This was a toughie.

Black Feminist Thought by Patricia Hill Collins - every Black woman in the world should own a copy of this book. I am biased; she was my professor in college. But she has most of it figured out, it is kind of amazing.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel - One of my all-time favorite love stories. and it has recipes in it that actually coincide with the story!

Sula by Toni Morrison - for some reason, I can relate to this story a lot; with the title character in particular. Can't explain unless you've read it.

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss - Someone gave me that book as a graduation present, and the story is still one I keep in my head as I travel through, especially with the path I have chosen.

The Bible - I don't read it as much as I should, but it has some great stories in it from a literary perspective. My favorite book is Song of Solomon; if you ever wondered how God felt about love and sex, you should check it out. It is very poetic.


Books I'm looking forward to being consumed:

The Babylon Sisters by Pearl Cleage - I've always been a big fan of her writing.

Memoirs of a Geisha - someone has convinced me to give it another chance; the first time I attempted to read it, I was so bored by page 25. If there is one thing I can give a second chance, it is a book.

Books that are underrated:

Waiting in Vain by Colin Channer - this man's writing style is better than Calgon at taking you away. And his storytelling abilities are fierce. He can make you love who you are supposed to hate, and hate who you are supposed to love.

Sula by Toni Morrison - I love this book. All of Toni Morrison's novels are so celebrated, but in my opinion, this the best one and it is highly underrated.

Books that are overrated:

He's Just Not That Into You - Ok, I am a lot easier on this book since I have actually read it, and it good for those of us that need blatant objectivity to tell us (or remind us) of things we already know. But the whole Oprah-esque craze of it all just ended up making women look stupid and men look like smart, sly foxes they are **wink**. Just my opinion.

Anything from Oprah's book club - to quote a good friend of mine 'I will not run and read a book just because Oprah says it's good - I am a reader, and was before her book club. I can choose my own literature!' Enough said.

Any poetry book written by a non-poet musician - this excludes Jill Scott, because she was a poet first. Ashanti, T-Boz and even Alicia: please, stick to singing. Actually, Ashanti, find a new hustle altogether.

Ok...Thank you Fuego, that was exhausting! ;o) So...jmama, Max, lala...tag, you're it! And I'll be checking your blogs to see if you have done it, so get to it!





3 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger HealthyHappyHoney said...

ok, i will be posting tonight. keep an eye open for my post!!!!!!!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Tony J. said...

omigod, i'm soooooo glad you did this. i have been really interested in seeing what all the people in the circle of folks that i know and this meme has gotten around to say about their books. yours was an interesting read, too. like i had no idea u liked j. cali coop...not that i do, but everybody keeps trying to turn me onto her...and i tried, but...no, thanks. :) it's just interesting to me what people read and you think you know them...this little meme certainly lets you get "in there" a little bit deeper, don't you think? well...as long as the person you sent it to IS an actual, you can get some real insights.

yea, you did the meme!

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this post. I might do a spam email with it (lol). By the way, there's the One Year Bible, in which you read a paragraph or two per day and by the end of the year, you would've read the entire bible! I have one that I bought not too long ago. It's working out pretty well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home